I don’t make this very often (at all) because it has a ton of ingredients and it seems complicated. However: it is Ben’s favorite soup.
So here you go:
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/4 cup frozen cut italian green beans
- 1/2 stalk finely chopped celery
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce)can red kidney beans , drained
- 1 (15 ounce)can small white beans or great northern beans , drained
- 1 /2 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/3 cup small shell pasta
That is 20 ingredients. That’s nuts. Anyway, here’s how you make this sucker!
Heat two tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in a huge pot. Do not underestimate the pot on this one…if you can’t fit a whole chicken in there easily, it’s too small.
Saute onion, celery, garlic, green beans, and zucchini in the oil for 5 minutes or until onions are rather soft.
Add vegetable broth, drained tomatoes, drained beans, carrots, hot water, and spices.
Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
Add spinach leaves and pasta and cook for 20 minutes
Serve with gluten free french bread!