This was my absolute favorite soup my entire life.
I made it constantly throughout my college years, with a lovely side of grilled cheese sandwich (diagonally sliced, ty). Unfortunately, Campbell’s tomato soup has flour in it (as does sandwich bread, fwiw). In fact, this is the list of ingredients in their soup:
“tomato puree, which is made from water and tomato paste, water, high fructose corn syrup, wheat flour, salt, vegetable oil, flavoring, ascorbic acid and citric acid.”
I’m just going to point out that anything with fruit (like tomatoes) really don’t need additional sugar or high fructose corn syrup in it. Or wheat flour. Or “flavoring.”
Also, There are 2.5 servings in a can and 480 mg of sodium per serving. It is just frustrating that one can of tomato soup can have 1,200 mg of sodium.
But I love tomato soup. I shall overcome this canned nonsense and make it myself!!
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
3 lbs tomatoes, coarsely chopped
2 tsp thyme
1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 cup chicken broth (or vegetable broth or water)
3/4 cup heavy cream
Here is a tomato conversion chart:
• 3 medium globe tomatoes = 1 pound
• 8 small plum tomatoes = 1 pound
• 25 to 30 cherry tomatoes = 1 pound
• 2 cups chopped tomatoes = 1 pound
• 3/8 cup of tomato paste plus 1/2 cup water = 1 cup tomato sauce
• 1 cup canned tomatoes = 1-1/2 cups fresh, chopped, cooked tomatoes
• 1/2 pound or 1 tomato = 1 serving
• 1 cup firmly packed fresh tomato = 1/2 cup tomato sauce plus 1/2 cup water
• 1 pound fresh = 1-1/2 cups chopped
• 1 (16-ounce) can = 2 cups
• 1 (35-ounce) can = 4 cups undrained
• 1 (28-ounce) can = 3 cups undrained
How To Cook This Wonderful Soup:
- Turn the pressure cooker on to browning and saute the onion in the oil and butter for about 3 minutes. The onion should be soft by then.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, thyme, salt, pepper, and broth and mix gently.
- Lock on the lid and cook on high for 4 minutes.
- Open and either use a whisk, a hand mixer or an immersion blender to mix the soup. Now stir in the cream.
ENJOY THIS THOROUGHLY!