I need to make a yellow cake for a birthday party tomorrow, and I am expecting +20 people to come. So one box of Betty Crocker yellow cake isn’t going to cut it (I’m not even sure about 2 boxes). So you know what? I’m making this from scratch and I’m either making a huge cake, or a billion cup cakes. Haven’t decided yet…
But I needed to write down my recipe so I wouldn’t lose it. So here it is!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, maybe a small splash of almond extract as well
- 3 eggs
Now You Need To:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Grease and flour your cake pan (I use PAM or parchment paper and PAM).
- Put the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and shortening until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating completely after each one.
- Then add flour mixture alternately with milk, beating just to combine. Finally, stir in vanilla, and then pour batter into the cake pan.
- Here is a side note: bake this cake in a water bath – place tin on cookie sheet (or other tin with high sides); fill larger tin with boiling water while baking. This will give you an extremely moist cake.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 to 45 minutes.
I use her recipe: The Best Frosting I’ve Ever Had