I was having a peaceful conversation with a friend one day, and we were discussing different interesting things we feed our kids. Everything was going fine until I asked,
“Have you tried octopus hotdogs?”
I wasn’t thinking along the lines of “chicken hotdogs,” “beef hot dogs,” “octopus hotdogs.” I was thinking of this gem:
This is a fun way of serving hotdogs: here’s what you do –
- Take a hotdog and split it with a knife halfway up lengthwise, twice. So you’re making 4 tentacles.
- Put it in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, and the tentacles will curl up when it heats! So awesome!
- Now, if you use natural all-beef hot dogs, you don’t get much curl. But if you use BallPark Franks, they curl like ribbon.
Let your octopus swim among a bed of macaroni.
And heck, make it educational: http://members.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/invertebrates/octopus/Octopus
Gluten Free Macaroni and Cheese:
- 1 package of corn or quinoa elbow macaroni
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose gluten free flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 bay leaf (Go crazy! Get your own bay leaf plant!)
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 large egg
- 3 large cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 Tbsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ground black pepper
The Final Touch:
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup gluten free bread crumbs
Now, my friend, go and make your Mac and Cheese:
- Preheat oven to 350F. In your biggest pot, boil the water and cook the noodles for 8-9 minutes, or until you can cut it with a spoon.
- While this is going on, in another pot melt the butter and whisk in the flour and mustard until it’s smooth.
- Go ahead and pour the milk, onion, bay leaf, and paprika into the pan.
- Simmer this on very low for about 10 minutes, so the onion should be rather soft, and take the bay leaf out.
- Slowly stir in the egg and then add most of the cheese. Add the salt and pepper.
- Slowly stir in the macaroni and pour the whole pot into a good sized baking dish and put the rest of the cheese on top.
- Now, finally, melt the butter in a pan and toss the bread crumbs in it, and spoon that on top of the macaroni.
- Finally, bake this for 30 minutes at 350F