I loved eating at sushi restaurants, primarily because sushi is normally gluten free (unless the chef adds bread crumbles on top, which we’ve had the pleasure of sending back and still having to pay for it, before), but it is also AMAZING. I love sushi rolls. I just hate paying an arm and a leg for sushi rolls.
It really can’t be that hard….and it’s NOT.
What You Need:
- 1 sliced avocado
- cream cheese
- sushi rice (I’ll explain later)
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds, toasted (I normally don’t add this, because I don’t care. But you might)
- 1 cucumber sliced super, ridiculously small
- About 6 raw shrimp
- 4 sheets nori (I can find this in Safeway next to the corn husks and dried chilies)
- Saran wrap
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- garlic powder
Okay, So Here’s What You Do:
- Make rice. Just normal sticky white rice. You can’t substitute with Uncle Ben’s, or I’ll laugh at you when your sushi roll falls apart.
- While that is cooking, start slicing the avocado, cucumber and cream cheese into slices that are about 2 mm in diameter and about 3 -4 inches long
- In a pan, throw in the raw shrimp, a couple dashes of olive oil, garlic powder, parsley, kosher salt. Let these cook for about 4 – 5 minutes.
- Take them out of the pan and let them cool. Slice it thin when you can.
- When the rice is done, put 1/2 of it into a bowl and add the vinegar, sugar and salt, and just mix it with your hands.
- Now, lay out saran wrap and place the nori on top of that.
- Then put a thin…THIN…layer of rice on top of the nori. The heat will soften the nori for you.
- Now make a line down the middle of the sliced cucumber, avocado, cream cheese and sliced shrimp.
- Then roll the saran wrap up as tight as you can and make one big long sushi roll.
- Put this in the fridge for 1/2 hour or 1 hour. The chilling helps the whole thing bind together better.
- Take it out gently and use a sharp knife to slice the rolls
Bonus: If you need a recipe that doesn’t use rice, you can substitute crumbled steamed cauliflower instead!