These things are so good, it’s not even funny.
Do not be deceived by their simplicity either! They don’t have a lot of ingredients, but when they come together, they have flavors that blow your mind.
They’re going to take a little bit of time though, so this isn’t a quick dinner. Don’t think you can get started with this at 5:45 and have it on the table any time soon. Make time for this, and it will be totally worth it!
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 1 can organic stewed tomatoes
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- ground garlic powder
- fresh parsley
- corn tortillas
- cooking oil
What’chu Do Is This:
1) You need a bunch of pulled chicken. How I do it:
- Take a whole chicken, remove the neck and giblets, wash it off and place it in your pressure cooker and fill halfway up with water. (I am aware that the current standards say not to wash chicken off anymore because they are convinced you are going to throw chicken water all over yourself and contaminate your kitchen with salmonella. To me, I like washing the chicken off. It gets extra feathers off, blood off, goop off and plus you can get a good visual of the chicken just to make sure it looks good. Knowledge is always power. Just keep things clean and wash your hands)
- Add garlic powder, 1 tsp kosher salt, a few grinds of fresh ground black pepper and 1 tsp paprika
- Cook on high for 25 minutes
- Remove the chicken and let it cool off. Then go into the process of getting all the meat off and putting it into a large bowl, pulled apart.
2) Start assembling the mix
- Saute the chopped yellow onion for 4 minutes. Then add it to the pulled chicken
- Take 2 cups of broth and pour it on top of the pulled chicken
- Add 1 can of organic stewed tomatoes to the pulled chicken
- Add some extra salt, garlic, parsley, paprika to suit your taste
- Gently mix the bowl until it is well combined
3) Now assemble the taquitos
- Take a very large pan and place 1/2 cup of oil in the bottom. Get it pretty hot before you put anything in.
- Take a corn tortilla and put a spoonful of the chicken mix in the middle. Roll it up and place it into the pan.
- Cook 4 or 5 at a time, but don’t crowd the pan or they won’t cook evenly!
- Cook the folded side first, and after 3 minutes flip it over for another 4 minutes. They should be well fried and hold their shape when you are done.
- Place them on a wire rack or on a plate of paper towels while you finish them all.
4) Serve with the following
- sour cream
- Heretic Evil Twin